When beginning a new project, such as working towards a healthy weight, we all vow to keep our excitement and enthusiasm, and we hope to accomplish our goal. The two key factors that help us get what we want are desire, which gets us going, and motivation, which keeps us going!!
But as time goes by, even the best of intentions can swagger, and we find ourselves losing ground. It can happen to all of us, so beware!
Now, although some situations and circumstances can take away our steam…how we are affected by those situations and circumstances has everything to do with our attitude about them!!! Yes, Attitude can help keep our mind set on achieving our health goals. “You can accomplish anything, if you want it bad enough!” My father always said that to me, and I truly believe he’s right.
I’m giving you my Top Ten Attitude Enhancers to help you achieve your dreams and aspirations!! You can do it!!!
- Create a visual inspiration. We ask that you take a picture of yourself before you start your TSFL program. Put a copy of it in the inside cover of your journal and on the refrigerator or bathroom mirror. As you lose weight, take new pictures and place them next to the other pictures to see your fabulous progress!!!
- Change your mind set. If you take negative phrases out of your vocabulary such as “No”, “I can’t”, or “I’ll try” and replacing them with “Yes!”, “I can” and “I will” “I want to”…will keep you on a forward course for success.
- Celebrate daily. Take it one step at a time! There is no need to look far ahead, because what is happening now is most important.
- Weekly weigh in. Keep track of your progress by a weekly weigh in. You will want to have a pair of jeans that fit you perfect on “day 1” to try on at the time of your weigh in. This way you will see the steady decrease of your weight and the steady bagging of your pants!
- Choose a great Buddy!! Having a friend, co-worker, or spouse or all of the above to help you or join you with your program will not only help you stay motivated, it will make your journey more fun! You may want to start a support meeting with your buddy to go over your weight loss success, your journal, and exercise together!
- Stay away from bad influence! Avoid people who try to sabotage your efforts! They may put you down for losing weight. They may bring donuts into work or encourage you to eat more than you want to. These people may feel threatened by your decision to get healthy. What ever the reason…stay away! If it is your spouse that is sabotaging your program, then have a discussion with them and explain how important getting healthy is to you and that their support for your efforts is much appreciated! Hopefully they will have a change of heart and possibly join you too!
- Set secondary goals to help you reach your primary goal. Sometimes your secondary goal may not be something that you enjoy but it is needed to reach your primary goal. The outcome will be well worth your effort!
- Reward yourself often! Don’t wait until you have reached your big goal! Reward yourself for every 10 or 20 pounds lost by getting a manicure, exercise equipment, new walking shoes, or a motivational book.
- Exercise Daily. There’s nothing better than the adrenaline rush you get after a vigorous walk or work out! Plus, exercising helps you tone your new body and is an important component of maintaining your weight once you get to your goal.
- Write your Success Story! Keep a daily journal and fill it with your challenges and your successes. Keep track of everything you eat and drink during the day. Write in your exercise, type and time spent,The steps on your Pedometer, etc… End your evenings by summarizing your day and setting a new goal for tomorrow.
Motivate Your Life!!!
1. Create your visual: Where will you place your picture?________________________________
2. When someone offers you a cupcake, you will say…
a) “Thank you! I’d love one!”
b) “You know I can’t have that”
c) “ No thank you. Although it looks delicious, I’m going to pass this time.”
d) “ I’m choosing to eat healthy these days”
e) both c and d
3. I will take each day at a time and celebrate my success at the end of each evening by _______________________________________
(ie: write in journal, take a walk, go to bed early)
4. I plan to weigh myself once a week on _________. I will keep a chart of my success.
5. The people I can depend on to help support me are __________________________________________
My weight loss buddy is_______________________
My exercise buddy is__________________________
6. The situations or people that may make staying with my program difficult are: (ie: “happy hour” or “my boss”)
7. My secondary goals are: (ie: exercise daily, drink plenty of water, listen to support calls weekly)
8. I will reward myself for every ______pounds I loose. Some choices I will pick from are….
9. I choose to exercise daily! The best time for me is _____________________. I will keep track of my progress in my journal.
10. I will keep a journal and read helpful and inspiring Stories. I will keep in touch with my Health Coach.
My Health Coach’s phone number is_________________
About the Author (Author Profile)
Dr. Wayne Scott Andersen (“Dr. A”) is a board-certified doctor, and the co-founder of Take Shape for Life (TSFL). He serves as the Medical Director of Medifast, and and is the best-selling author of “Dr. A’s Habits of Health”, and “Living a Longer Healthier Life.”