Tips for Healthy Outdoor Activities
With winter finally lifting, a new world is blossoming just beyond your window. You can get outside, get some much needed sunshine, and enjoy healthy activity all at the same time. For me, I love to get outside with my family, whether we are going for walks or taking the boat out for an adventure.
As humans, we have a tendency to let the gloom of winter sap our interest in exercise. In fact, a multitude of studies have linked the “tone” of winter—the cold, the overcast skies—with depression and slothfulness. Unfortunately, these feelings, like all habits, can accumulate momentum and carry over into spring.
I’ve found that one of the keys to staying active is to always be active. Instead of dreading winter, I see it as an opportunity to enjoy a totally different mix of activities, like skiing for example. When spring comes around, I get to change up my routine and do something different. You might find it helpful to approach your active lifestyle in the same way, which is why I want to challenge you to get outside and try something new. You might discover a new passion.
Here are some tips for beginning a new spring or summer time activity:
1. Start small and exercise at your own pace. If you take up jogging for example, don’t feel like you have to keep up with your marathon-running friends. If you can run a few steps farther each session, you are making progress, and progress is what matters.
2. Don’t be afraid to practice. Any new endeavor will come with a learning curve. If you pick up a weekend sport, for example, don’t get frustrated if you aren’t very good. Everyone starts at the beginning, so just have fun with it!
3. Use your activities to surround yourself with positive people. Whether you are going for walks with a friend or joining a completely new club, your activities are a chance to inject positive influences into your life. The support from these influences could make it easier to create health from day to day.
4. Bring the kids! A number of warm-weather activities can be shared with your whole family, giving you an opportunity to create memories and share in each other’s healthy lifestyles.
But what should you start? Wherever you like, as long as you are being active. The goal is to find something that is both fun and healthy, but if you need some ideas to get you started, consider these activities:
- Tai Chi in the Park
- Yoga in the Park
- Any Recreational Sport League (Soccer, Basketball, Flag Football, Etc)
- Mountain Biking
- Paintball or Airsoft
- Golf (Skip the cart and walk the green!)
Get out there and try something new! Also, if you have any suggestions for healthy outdoor activities, share them in the comments!